A sunny start to September

A sunny start to the day, so getting this Six on Saturday out early today.

Anemone fortunes reversed

I have two Japanese Anemones bought this year. The first quickly went brown and most of the leaves died off. The second grew well and had quite a few buds.

In the last week however, the second one (a pink variety Anemone hupehensis 'Praecox'), suddenly suffered the same fate as the first. Many of the leaves are turning brown and the buds have all wilted.

On the other hand the first ("Honorine Jobert") now has a flower, with another just starting to open. It is still a very small plant, but it was only last week I think that I was wondering if it would survive.

Photo 5599

I've been watering them in case that is the problem as I read that they need a lot of water until they are established. Then once established you can't get rid of them...

Hazelnuts!

I just found these underneath the Corkscrew hazel tree today. It would have been better to show some on the tree, but I couldn't find any more, so here are the fallen ones.

Photo 5615

Salvia "Radio red"

This was flowering when I got it, this is a second batch of flowers. I've not yet taken a cutting of this to try and keep it through the winter. It is such a bright red colour that it is difficult to show it in a photo.

Photo 5617

Gazania

After the recent dry period, there are suddenly a few Gazanias in flower after doing very little over the so-called summer. This one has lovely colouring.

Photo 5619

Geum "Totally Tangerine"

This is still flowering away and has been one of the best things out of this years new plants.

Photo 5623

Rosemary cutting experiment

I made two rosemary cuttings and wanted to test if it was better to root in water first or plant directly into compost. Some people claim that although roots may form quicker in water, cuttings made directly into compost will do better in the long run.

The first (on the left) was rooted in water, until a fair few roots developed and then transplanted into compost. The one on the right was planted directly into compost.

I am declaring the water method to be the winner in this instance. It may indeed be better to start out in compost, but only if you can get them to root to start with.

After taking this photo, I removed the second one and there was indeed no sign of any roots. The first on the other hand now has roots out the bottom of the container and a quick look showed plenty of roots. But I shall be leaving in that pot for a week or two more.

Photo 5627

If by any chance you got here from somewhere other than The propagator blog, then I recommend going over there and looking at everyone else's six things that are happening today.

  • No comments yet


Leave a comment...